Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Astronimus Randt, May 2 @ 12 noon SLT


I first met Astron when I saw an announcement about a violinist appearing at a venue unknown to me. I grabbed the landmark and teleported into... the middle of a Second Life strip club. To say that the music was not appropriate to the venue would be a huge understatement, however, Astron's interest in taking his violin performance in new directions confounds classification. Classically trained in violin performance, Astron has branched out to explore new age and popular music on his electric violin, while choosing to play other content on the accoustic violin. Much of the work Astonimus performs are his own compositions that have a new-age inspirational flavour.

Astronimus took a hiatus from Second Life lasting several months. He has been missed by fans of his music. As well as being an interesting musician, Astronimus is a thoughtful and warm person, whose introductions to his music add layers of meaning to the experience.

The seriousness with which he takes Second Life music is evident in his performances but also in the professionalism he exhibits. I remember with fondness an occasion where I was out of the country toting my laptop and expecting to host one of Astronimus' concerts. As fate would have it, just when I was difficult to reach, a rockslide knocked out a major communications satellite in Astronimus' area of the western USA, rendering him incommunicado and likely unable to do the concert, unless communications were restored in time. Rather than shrug and disappoint fans and leave everyone wondering, he drove some distance and managed to contact someone with a Second Life account to get a message to me well in advance of the concert. We had decided on a "drop dead" time when I would send out a cancellation notice and had a "rain date" set to announce. This was truly appreciated by me as a concert organizer and also by the Music Island audience, many of whom plan their week-ends to include their Second Life concert attendance.

I'm sure we'll have a warm welcome for this veteran SL musician's triumphant return.

No comments:

Post a Comment